Hey there Land Rover / Rad Rover fans!
so for about a month now we at Rad Rovers have been working on a 1960’s Series 2 or series 2a or series 3 Land Rover ! …. i say it that way because we are not quite sure what it is because the first builder used a series 2a chassis and a series 3 transmission and in line 4 petrol engine, a Defender foot peddle with servo, and Series 2 bulkhead….
The owner commissioned someone to build him a rover… this rover.
It was a bit thrown together.
Just days later after ownership he found Rad Rovers and said… “i can stop, but thats the problem…. i can’t go again! the brakes are all locked up! Can you help me?”
Sure thing boss! Send it over here.
Interesting enough, we live in the same home town of Sarasota Florida !
So after i get it fixed, i can still see it kickin around town! so thats fun.
Lovely guy and his wife too, happy to help.
Yes sir! the brakes were a real mess! AND the E brake wasn’t even close to having a chance.
So work load was roughly:
- all wheals got 100% re-built from the axle housing flange out.
- E-Brake was also 100% overhauled
- rear drive shaft overhauled
- rear differential pinion flange and lip seal rebuilt
- all three peddles got removed and rebuilt:
- The clutch master cylinder reservoir was the one that was built in so not a chance of accessing it under the fender (its left hand drive) Changed that one out and added an isolated reservoir.
- The Brake cylinder was for a 109 with the double line system to front and back with the servo. There are still some issues working out there…
- The skinny peddle was so loose in all the linkages i said to hell with it and added my own tried and proven custom throttle assembly. It’s a cable controlled system that is clean, simple, precise and easy to instal. (If you want a better throttle assembly let me know)
- the the Wiring !! omg the wiring… what a basket case or rats nest garbage. My electrician removed 2/3rd of what was there and thats just the beginning. There were about a dozzen striped and exposed hot / live wires just floating around behind the gauge cluster !?! Im “shocked”
- Naturally seeing that i said we are adding a emergency battery cut off switch
- Adding a dock for USB charging station and 12v outlet
- LED’s everywhere! Green led strips inside the cab and under bonnet. And all the marker / driving lights are all changed out to the Defender fully water proofe housing units. Really love those…
- Brand new and fully custom fuel line from tank to carb. Yes another design of mine that iv used many times.
- Thinking of also adding a custom made spare tire mounting bracket on to his tailgate with a jerry can.
- steering wheal didn’t have a cansoling wheel for the blinker
- Doors wouldn’t stay closed
- OH! there wasn’t any oil anywhere in the transmission !?
so… a great Flintstone Land Rover is quickly becoming a RAD ROVER !
If you wan’t it done right and want to live longer, come visit “Rad Rovers”